Why I am not using Filmic Pro for Recording my Mobile Videos




I make videos using smartphone. They are not a talking-head style vlog videos but Lifestyle Event videos, Behind the Scenes videos, Fashion shows, Interviews, videos of Brand launches, Celebrity meet-ups, workshops, and so on. And because I make these videos using a smartphone so I am often suggested to use a third-party camera app for recording my videos - better.

As a reviewer, I love exploring new apps. Naturally, I have come to know various free and paid camera apps including but not limited to Open Camera, Filmic Pro, and Moment. I have camera apps from Zhiyun and Moza too, which came with their smartphone Gimbals.
I also have basic technical knowledge of manual camera controls; exposure, ISO, white balancing, frame rates, shutter speeds, and a couple of necessary lens filters. But currently, I cannot employ many of those due to a number of reasons (read excuses).

Many have been insisting me on using a proper camera too and as much as I would love to do that, I have a very valid reason to stick with smartphone for video and photography.

But First

Before getting to why I do not use any other camera app, knowing what smartphone I use and how I do what I do might be helpful. I use years old Samsung Galaxy S7 edge for anything that has to do with the Camera. I use S7's native camera app and I have nothing against any third party camera app. I actually want to use one of the camera apps I mentioned above, but right now I cannot.

The events I cover are almost always very fast-paced, active, crowded, very unpredictable, and/or under very challenging lighting situations. To be honest, I like it that way, the energy, the emotion, the challenge if you will...


Emotions Before Motion

I prefer moving around and look for reactions from the people. I go for interesting moments as they unfold naturally and I love capturing timeless candid expressions instead of forced, posed, or staged ones. Not that anything is wrong with that, it is just a personal thing. In the end I try to weave them into a short visual story.

My experience of street photography comes very handy in making these videos. From anticipating a moment to get into position quickly and frame the scene within seconds. I can say I either have a good sense of spotting the moments to begin with or I developed this over the years from street photography and observations.

It helps a lot!

But if I cannot get the camera ready on time, the moment could lost in a blink. We all have been there. The easiest solution is to keep the camera app active, doesn't matter what camera app it may be.

The complication with this solution however is, that these events can go on for hours (mostly because no one comes on time). My Galaxy S7 edge is getting old and the battery is not what it used to be. Keeping camera app active for longer periods of time is no longer a viable option for me. (Yes I have heard of Powerbanks.)

Recording everything is not smart videography anyway. (Yes I am guilty of doing that.) Keeping a camera rolling is not practical, not for all scenarios. It takes too much storage, which significantly increases unnecessary editing time. It adds burden on the editing machine and on to the person editing the video too.

To reduce the use of battery and resources I keep the screen off. When it is time, a quick double-tap on home button opens the camera right on my mark. However this method activates the native camera app. And in now-or-never situations, switching to another app is simply a no go.


An experienced eye can pick the flaws bound to shooting in Auto. Some videos come out better than others and I get away with said flaws because of the type of videos I make and for the platforms I am making it for. Having said that, I obviously prefer not having those flaws.

Galaxy S7 edge offers a wide range of manual controls too within the native app so I literally don't need to switch for any third-party app and I use that whenever I can. I just do not have enough practice to punch the right settings quickly, yet...

And that is why, my friend, I am only using native camera app of Samsung Galaxy S7 edge.



The Future

My video setup is in need of an upgrade for sure. The advancements in mobile cameras since the days of S7 edge have been astonishing. I am especially thrilled to have one of those long-range optical zoom up to 10 times enabled smartphone with great video recording capabilities.

And these new smartphones are coming with a powerful batteries and massive storage containers so perhaps then I will be able to use a well crafted third-party camera app more often. Until then, Samsung Galaxy S7 edge with its native camera app in full Auto is my way to do my videos...


Take a look of my videos on YouTube and
If you need any help with smartphone video making or editing on an Android phone, leave a comment or look me up on socials.
Why I am not using Filmic Pro for Recording my Mobile Videos Reviewed by Munir Rahool on 4:56 AM Rating: 5

No comments:

All Rights Reserved by Munir Rahool © 2014 - 2015
Powered By Blogger, Designed by Sweetheme

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *

Powered by Blogger.